Offered at Iowa Valley Grinnell
Deadline for Fall 2015 registration is April 30, 2015
Gunsmith Technology is a program that prepares individuals to apply technical knowledge and skills to make, repair, maintain, and modify firearms according to blueprints or customer specifications, using specialized hand tools and machines. Hunters, sportsmen, collectors, and firearms enthusiasts around the nation all need the services of experienced Gunsmiths to repair and customize their favorite firearms.
The 2-year program will provide highly sophisticated training to students interested in pursuing careers as technicians in the firearms manufacturing and distribution industry and for businesses working with the U.S. military. Graduates may become a gunsmith working in a variety of gun shops, sporting goods stores, gun manufacturers, and their own business. Millions of dollars a year are spent on firearms in the U.S. alone—that means there’s a big demand for skilled professionals to keep the firearms working well! Salaries of gunsmiths vary by employment setting. HigherSalary.com lists the range of $25,470 to $48,605 a year, with the average salary of $36,267 annually.
Associate in Applied Science (AAS)
List of Tools
(List of tools)
We are happy to learn of your interest in our Gunsmith Technology program at Iowa Valley Grinnell. Admission into the Gunsmith Tech program is separate from admission to the College. The first step students must take is to complete your admissions folder. The following items must be submitted to the MCC Admissions Office.
NOTICE: Applicants must fill out BOTH forms below (#1 and #2)
1. Application for college admission completed
• Apply to Marshalltown Community College/Iowa Valley Grinnell (online form)
2. Application for the Gunsmith program completed
• IVG Gunsmith Tech applicant form (online form)
3. Official high school transcript or high school equivalency diploma required (send to MCC Admissions Office, 3700 South Center Street, Marshalltown, Iowa 50158).
4. Official transcripts from other colleges you have attended, if applicable (send to Admissions Office).
5. Take or submit ACT or Compass. Fax scores to 641 236-0036. Or email scores to Brenda.firstname.lastname@example.org . To determine scores needed for remediation, consult Student Success Specialist.
6. Prospective students shall submit a letter of application for admission to the Gunsmith Tech program. The letter should be a maximum of 1000 words, double spaced in times New Roman font, size 12. This letter will be used in the review process by the admissions committee for the selection of students for admission. The letter should include the items listed in the Gunsmith Tech application.
7. Have three letters of recommendation sent to:
123 6th Avenue West
These letters should be recommendations from employers, teachers or other professionals who are not related to the applicant and have a personal knowledge of the applicant’s work ethic and background.
8. Iowa law forbids any person under the age of 18 to possess a handgun. Prospective students shall be eighteen years of age or older on or before the first day of the first Gunsmith Tech course in which they are registered.
9. Students selected for moving forward in the process will be notified, and sent a link by email to complete the background check. Students will pay for the background check. Students must prove their eligibility to own and possess firearms. This includes all project guns, receivers, etc. that the student needs to procure while enrolled. Please note: If felony and/or misdemeanor charges are found on a background check after the student is enrolled, student could be dismissed and the student would be liable for any tuition already paid if beyond drop date.