Skip To Main Content

Marketing quality, value and results

Robin Anctil

Robin Anctil

By Robin Anctil

There are a lot of ways I could have spent the past 30 years of my working life, but fortunately for me I’ve been in the business of marketing community colleges … specifically Iowa Valley Community College District (IVCCD). I didn’t attend a community college, but I wish I had. And you may not be considering a community college education for yourself or your child, but you certainly should!

On Quality: Our faculty are in the classrooms, teaching. Those who teach career and technical programs have worked in those fields. They offer hands-on training, and their graduates are prepared to be successful in the workplace. Many of our graduates have job offers prior to graduation, thanks to on-the-job training provided within our curricula. Our Equine program is rated #2 in the nation. Our 2015 Practical Nursing graduates had 100% passage rates on their state board exams. Our agriculture programs were recently recognized as the best in the state. And our two colleges have impressively high student success rates (graduation rate + transfer rate).

On Value: While our tuition rate is higher than we’d like it to be, our Financial Aid Offices and Foundations do an outstanding job of providing students with grants, loans and scholarships to put a college education within reach. And even without one penny in financial aid or scholarships, taking the first two years of coursework at ECC or MCC/Grinnell will save a student about $13,000 over going directly to a state university and taking all four years of coursework there. Those who transfer to private colleges will save even more than that.

Impressive Results: Students want to be inspired, challenged, engaged, and prepared for whatever comes next in life. All of that and more can be theirs, but students have to do their part. I’ve seen our students blossom, accept challenges, try harder than they thought they could, and achieve some amazing results. Sharing their stories and encouraging them to reach for their dreams is my favorite part of marketing community colleges.

If you or someone you know needs a college education, you won’t find a better place for it than Ellsworth Community College in Iowa Falls, Marshalltown Community College, and Iowa Valley Grinnell. If you don’t believe me, then I invite you to stop by and see for yourself. Our Admissions staff would like nothing better than to meet you, hear about your plans, and show you what we can do to help!

Robin Anctil is the Director of Marketing for IVCCD, which operates Ellsworth Community College, Marshalltown Community College, and Iowa Valley Grinnell.