IVCCD approves ECC agreement with Adidas
Monday / April 15, 2019
IOWA FALLS – The Iowa Valley Community College District Board of Directors approved a five-year merchandising agreement between Ellsworth Community College and adidas® America, Inc. (Adidas) for apparel for the ECC Panther athletic teams when it met last week. The agreement stipulates that Athletic Department personnel, coaches and student-athletes will exclusively wear Adidas products in practices and games, during coaching clinics/camps, and when being photographed or videotaped.
“We looked at different companies, Nike and Adidas, and we felt that Adidas is going to give us a better price point during the term of the deal,” explained ECC Athletic Director Nate Forsyth.
The Board briefly discussed the recent general obligation bond referendum following public comment by John Dolan of Iowa Falls. Dolan co-chaired the Iowa Valley YES Committee and thanked the community for its response to the bond issue referendum. “I wish we had done more, because I think we can all do better,” Dolan said. “I would ask the Board to analyze the election results carefully.”
Board President Johnson said a discussion about the election results and possible next steps regarding an Iowa Valley bond referendum is on the agenda for an April 17 Board Retreat in Marshalltown. The retreat will begin at 5 pm, following a special Board meeting at 4 pm. Johnson thanked Dolan on behalf of the Board for his support of the referendum.
In other matters, the Board approved the following:
- Contracts to provide college level instruction for 2019-2020 to students in the Iowa Falls/Alden and South Tama County High Schools.
- ECC and MCC 2018-2019 spring and summer graduate application lists. Commencement ceremonies for the two colleges will be held Friday, May 10 at 2 pm for ECC and 7 pm for MCC.
- An amendment to a contract renewal with Career Services Central, an online resource that assists students in developing resumes, letters, and portfolios for job searches. The College Central portal also enables regional employers to post open positions for review.
- A resolution directing the publication of notice on the issuance of not to exceed $400,000 for an Industrial New Jobs Training Agreement with Stover Controls of Marshalltown. Stover Controls is the only company in the central Midwest region certified to sell and install Emerson products, and the training will support the employment of 19 new positions..
- Payment of 2019-2020 membership with the American Association of Community Colleges in the amount of $3,437.
Several ECC staff members and students gave a presentation entitled “Student Engagement through Club Activities.” ECC students told Board members how their club activities have enhanced their educational experiences at Ellsworth. Students benefit from club activities by volunteering for community service, networking with others, developing projects that can enhance their resumes, fundraising, improving their skills through regional and/or national competitions, and qualifying for scholarships.
Two closed sessions were held to discuss collective bargaining strategy and the chancellor search, but the Board took no action upon returning to open session. It is anticipated that the new IVCCD Chancellor will be named at a special session on Wednesday, April 17, at 4 pm in the District Administration building on the Iowa Valley/MCC campus in Marshalltown.