32 high schoolers get free summer college credits
Friday / July 12, 2019
The Iowa Valley Community College District (IVCCD) Board of Directors approved contracts for a new Summer College Credit Program that provides college credit courses for high school students at no cost to the students or to the high schools. Thirty-two students from East Marshall, Iowa Falls/Alden, Marshalltown and South Tama High Schools took the Certified Nurse Aide course in Grinnell, Iowa Falls and Marshalltown and a new Business Internship course offered in Marshalltown.
MaryAnne Nickle, Dean of Iowa Valley Grinnell, explained that the new program was funded by the Iowa Legislature as part of the Future Ready Iowa initiative. The money provided by the state for the students enrolled will be treated as a scholarship allocation. “What’s unique about this is that not only do the high school students not have to pay for the coursework, but neither do their high schools,” said Nickle. She said the District has already been informed that the program will be available again next summer, so IVCCD is making plans for which programs to offer.
“The courses that were available through the new Summer College Credit Program were determined by the Iowa Department of Education,” said Nickle. “We had hoped to offer other programs too, but Nurse Aide and the Business Internship were the only ones approved. We will be working with the Department of Education to try and get some additional offerings on the table for next summer.”
In other matters, the Board approved the following:
- A non-Iowa resident tuition increase of $5 per credit hour for 2019-20.
- A revised 2019-20 housing rate for ECC Thompson and Wall Hall single rooms of $2,520 per semester; an incorrect rate of $2,165 was approved last month.
- The ECC/MCC 2019-20 College Catalog and annual curriculum report.
- A contract to provide college level courses for students at Marshalltown High School.
- Revisions to Board Policy Guidelines regarding the 2019-20 salaried position classifications, hourly position classifications, and faculty hiring guide.
- The 2019 MCC men’s soccer and women’s volleyball schedules.
- Renewal of a Youth for Understanding (YFU) contract with Ellsworth Community College in Iowa Falls; no students are currently enrolled through YFU for Fall 2019.
Director of Governmental Affairs Cindy Schulte gave the Board an overview of IVCCD’s compliance process, which has been used as a model by at least six other Iowa community colleges over the past two years. The District created a SharePoint repository for all required local, state and federal compliance mandated documents as well as a calendar of when all reports are filed and who filed them. A Districtwide Compliance Committee meets at least twice a year to review the documents and ensure that the institution is in compliance with all agencies.
Board Secretary Barb Jennings reported that four IVCCD Board Directors’ terms are up for re-election on Nov. 5: Larry Johnson, Iowa Falls (Director District 1), Deborah Crosser of Eldora (Director District 2), Chris Brodin of Marshalltown (Director District 5), and Paul Pohlson of Grinnell (Director District 7). Nomination papers are now available from Ms. Jennings and may be filed with her beginning Monday, Aug. 26 at 8 am; papers must be filed by 5 pm on Thursday, Sept. 19.
The next regular meeting of the IVCCD Board will be Wednesday, Aug. 14, at 4 pm at the District Administration Building at 3702 S. Center St. in Marshalltown.