IVCCD approves $4.3 million training for Lennox
Wednesday / August 21, 2019
The Iowa Valley Community College District (IVCCD) Board of Directors approved a $4.3 million Industrial New Jobs Training Agreement with Lennox Industries of Marshalltown when it met last week. The training agreement will provide training for 750 Lennox employees and assist the company in its recovery from last summer’s tornado.
“In combination with last month’s $430,000 training agreement with Swift Pork Company/JBS, this represents the largest Industrial New Jobs Training Agreement package that IVCCD has ever developed,” said IVCCD Vice Chancellor of Continuing Education & Training Jacque Goodman. “This Lennox project is critical for Lennox and for our District’s local economy.”
Tom Deimerly, Director of Economic Development for the Marshalltown Chamber, was at the Board meeting to thank the IVCCD Board and Goodman for their efforts to negotiate the training agreement. “Thank you for your help with the recovery and retraining of Lennox in Marshalltown. This agreement is part of a four-prong economic development approach, and it really represents a new model for the state of Iowa.” Goodman added that Deimerly was instrumental in the negotiations and thanked him for his involvement.
Both JBS and Lennox received extensive damages due to the tornado in July 2018. Due to this natural disaster both companies qualified for 260E funding authorized by the Iowa Legislature in its Education Appropriations bill this spring. The 260E Industrial New Jobs Training projects are funded by the issuance, sale and repayment of bonds over a 10-year period. IVCCD will receive about $85,000 per year in administrative fees for overseeing the training agreement.
In other matters, the Board approved the following:
- A contract with Economic Modeling Specialists International/EMSI to perform an economic impact study for IVCCD, which will be used to demonstrate the economic impact of the District and the return on investment for IVCCD’s stakeholders.
- An agreement with McFarland Clinic P.C. to provide part-time nursing services at Ellsworth Community College in Iowa Falls.
- A settlement agreement between IVCCD, ECC student Tate Anderson and the Iowa Civil Rights Commission related to ECC housing policies and the presence of multiple service/assistance animals in student housing.
- Three months of added funding from Iowa Workforce Development for the Adult & Dislocated Worker program.
- A gift of 10 boxes of pork loins given by JBS to Marshalltown Community College for its Southeast Asian Family Night last spring.
- Revised Board policies related to the IVCCD organizational chart, whistleblowers, and the use of service/assistance animals on campus.
Jacque Goodman, Vice Chancellor of Continuing Education & Training, reviewed the departmental restructuring that’s under way in Iowa Valley Continuing Education. She discussed the research behind the restructuring and introduced several new staff members who’ve been hired over the summer months to replace IVCE’s five retirees who left June 30.
The next regular meeting of the IVCCD Board will be Wednesday, Sept. 11, at 4 pm at Ellsworth Community College (Reg Johnson Hall room 100), 1100 College Ave. in Iowa Falls.