Orpheum Theater Center
The historic Orpheum Theater Center, located at 220 E. Main St., Marshalltown, Iowa, is owned and operated by Iowa Valley Community College District.
The Orpheum Theater Center sustained significant structural damage during the July 19 tornado; repairs are currently in progress, and we anticipate re-opening in late spring or early summer 2019. Upcoming events and activities will be held in the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center at 3702 S. Center Street unless otherwise noted. Bob and Tammy are working in the Orpheum now; the best way to reach them is by phone or email (the building is not open to non-staff at this time).
Check out the “at a glance” schedule below for an overview of what’s happening at the Orpheum Theater Center, or click on the links to the left to find selected upcoming events information in greater detail. Want to rent a room or tour the facility? Grab a snack and a great cup of coffee? You can do it all at the Orpheum Theater Center … the epitome of community!
- Jan. 26 – Winterfest at 7 pm at Fisher Community Center Auditorium, 709 S. Center St. This is the Orpheum’s annual progressive rock event, which this year will feature The Sires and Halfloves. Tickets are $12.50 (Event details)
- Feb. 2 – Friends Of the Orpheum Theater (FOOT) Fundraiser. The Awful Purdies and Ben Driscoll & The Posthumous Cowboys will perform from 7 to 10 pm at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Conference Center (room 808) to support funding other artist performances at the Orpheum. This fundraiser will be essential due to revenue losses to both the Orpheum and IVCCD from last summer’s tornado. We look forward to celebrating this great gift from these Iowa City musicians! Tickets are $20. (Event details)
- Feb. 8 – Beers of Love at 6 pm at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center (room 608). Cost is $15 to sample beers that will be paired with fun foods … so what’s not to love?!
- Feb. 12 – Romancing the Language, a free poetry event co-hosted with the MCC Humanities Division, from 7-8:30 pm in Helio Portes Lecture Hall (room 307) at Marshalltown Community College. Love poems will be read in Italian, Spanish and Portuguese, with English translations. This artfully elegant event will include artworks, flowers, music, and perhaps even chocolate!
- Feb. 22 – Fourth Friday Wine Tasting at 7 pm at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center (room 608). This is a pleasant evening you won’t want to miss. Ticket price TBA.
- Feb. 23 – The Orpheum Presents, which is an occasional concert in another location. We will bring Los Fugitivos to the Midnight Ballroom in collaboration with that great venue. We started this in November with Irish Christmas in America at the First Baptist Church, and hope to do the same kind of thing once or twice each year. A second band (to be determined) will also be featured; watch this page for additional details. Ticket price TBA.
- Mar. 2 – NOLA Jazz Band at 7 pm at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center (Dejardin Hall). With Mardi Gras just around the corner, NOLA Jazz Band will entertain you in New Orleans style! Tickets are $12.50.
- Mar. 15 – Socks in the Frying Pan at 7 pm at the Fisher Community Center Auditorium. Right out of Ireland, Socks in the Frying Pan is a grand group of musicians … take a listen and hear for yourself! This will be a fun way to start the St. Patrick’s Day festivities. Tickets are $12.50.
- April 30 – United State of Poetry at 7 pm, a free event that brings about 100 people annually to enjoy poetry read by a number of enthusiastic volunteers. Co-hosted by the MCC Humanities Division.
- Apr. 20 – The University of Iowa’s Dancers in Company perform at 7 pm at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center (Dejardin Hall). This troupe is always graceful, elegant and amazing! No charge.
A NOTE FROM THE ORPHEUM DIRECTOR – While movies and music are the core of our programming at the Orpheum, we also want to do what I call “Let 1,000 Flowers Bloom.” Right now, the Orpheum is offering (free of charge) participation in a monthly Poetry group which meets the fourth Thursday of each month, and an Anime group which meets twice a month. The Wine & Beer tasting groups are similar efforts to this, as is the Seberg Festival. If you have a cultural interest which the Orpheum could host, feel free to come talk with us. The only thing which is certain is that it’ll take 3-5 volunteers (which you have to provide) before we’d partner with you … but if you want to start a line dancing group, or do Bonsai, or have a strong interest in graffiti art – or any other cultural thing – send me an email, and we’ll set up a time to talk!
The Orpheum Theater Center is located at 220 E. Main Street in Marshalltown, Iowa. The Orpheum is owned and operated by Iowa Valley Community College District. For upcoming movies, call the Movie Line at 641-844-5907.